Zola is looking for a smart, driven, and detail-oriented Buyer to join our merchandising team who wants to build on their existing experience to help drive success on the business. This person is responsible for developing and implementing a strategy to drive their category of business, oversee and develop a direct report, and execute tasks such as business analytics, assortment strategy, sourcing new vendors, product development, product set up, purchase orders, samples, and pricing in a timely and accurate fashion to maximize sales and help achieve financial objectives.
This role will report into the Director of Merchandising, and lead their area of business and will lead a team of 2-3 people. He/she will provide rigorous and thoughtful analyses and partner with internal business functions to drive short-term and long-term business decisions. This role is ideal for someone with solid Buying and Merchandising experience, looking for broad and challenging responsibilities. Our team offers a fast-paced, high-growth environment that values leadership, adaptability, and communication.
- Create a clear strategic vision for your product categories that supports the overall objectives of Zola
- Manage and grow your business against company sales and margin plan; identify and execute on profit maximizing opportunities
- Partner with Planning to inform goals/targets; actively manage business against the Open To Buy forecast
- Discover and manage pipeline of new brands to add to Zola
- Forge relationships with new vendors (including outreach, pitches, etc.) and maintain strong relationships with existing vendors
- Negotiate agreements with vendors in partnership with Planning team, ensuring all agreements are in line with company goals
- Plan assortments and conduct periodic assortment and brand reviews
- Work with Zola Marketing team to develop and improve vendor co-marketing programs; pitch and secure vendor funding
- Recruit, develop and promote associate buyers, assistant buyers and merchandising assistants
- Partner closely with Operations and Planning to manage vendor operations, inventory and fulfillment
- Contribute new ideas for the growth of the business and work with the product and engineering team to implement improvements to the shopping experience
- Perform ongoing vendor development via market meetings, trade shows and market research
- Participate or lead cross functional initiatives to support and execute company-wide goals
- 5+ years of buying experience (e-commerce specific and/or non-ready to wear experience)
- Strong product sensibility and demonstrated ability to identify emerging trends
- Exceptional track record of presentation, negotiation, and relationship management skills
- Ability to perform data analysis to identify actionable insights
- Deep understanding of new technologies and familiarity with competitive e-commerce landscape
- Demonstrated talent for product assortment strategy and driving margin growth
- Deep understanding of and experience with retail financials and goal setting
- Strong team orientation, collaborative, cooperative work style
- Strong adaptability, flexibility and willingness to change strategies as business needs dictate
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree required
Please address all cover letters to Kathleen DeTurris on our talent team. Any applications without a cover letter will be incomplete and therefore not considered.
Zola is the fastest growing wedding company in the country. We're reinventing the wedding planning and registry experience to make the happiest moment in our couples' lives even happier. From engagement to wedding and decorating your first home, Zola is there, combining compassionate customer service with modern tools and technology. All in the service of love.
Headquartered in New York City, our team brings deep experience working on beautiful, award-winning e-commerce sites and mobile apps in past roles at Gilt Groupe, Yahoo, Amazon, J.Crew, Rent The Runway, Goldman Sachs, among many others. In 2017 the Wall Street Journal named Zola a top 25 Tech Company to Watch, and Forbes named Zola a Next Billion-Dollar Startup.