Zola is seeking a talented and passionate Backend Software Engineer to join our team in Charlottesville. You will be a part of a critical team that helps to make Zola the best wedding platform in the world. We value hard work, an orientation for speed and a passion for developing best-in-class user experiences.
You will work closely across various teams including product, growth, operations, customer service, marketing, and of course, technology.
Zola operates a service-oriented architecture written mostly in Java and deployed on Amazon Web Services. Our platform supports a wedding registry e-commerce business supporting hundreds of vendors as well as a wedding planning platform providing tools and guidance to thousands of couples. You will be part of a team responsible for the design, evolution, and maintenance of this platform as well as new products.
- Work with the product and engineering teams to design, develop, and maintain production ready systems and services
- Proactively identify site scaling issues and help redesign systems to address them
- Continually improve our internal infrastructure, tools and services.
- Provide technical feedback to other engineers through code reviews, design reviews and collaborative problem solving sessions.
- Participate in an on-call support rotation.
- Minimum of 4+ years of backend/platform experience
- B.S. and/or Masters in Computer Science
- Excellent programming skills with at least one language such as Java or Scala
- Experience with a relational data store such as PostgreSQL and ideally one or more NoSQL data stores (e.g. Redis, MongoDB).
- Experience with distributed systems and web services
- Experience with cloud-based services such as Amazon AWS
- Familiarity with Linux-based systems
- Marketplace experience is a plus
- Interested in following, learning and leveraging AWS services where applicable.
- Experience in e-commerce, with knowledge of distribution and fulfillment a plus
We are open to including new technologies where and when they make sense and always strive to push the limits of the e-commerce and web user experience.
Zola is the fastest growing wedding company in the country. We're reinventing the wedding planning and registry experience to make the happiest moment in our couples' lives even happier. From engagement to wedding and decorating your first home, Zola is there, combining compassionate customer service with modern tools and technology. All in the service of love.
Headquartered in New York City, our team brings deep experience working on beautiful, award-winning e-commerce sites and mobile apps in past roles at Gilt Groupe, Yahoo, Amazon, J.Crew, Rent The Runway, Goldman Sachs, among many others. In 2017 the Wall Street Journal named Zola a top 25 Tech Company to Watch, and Forbes named Zola a Next Billion-Dollar Startup.
To apply, please submit your resume and include a brief cover letter about why you’re interested in Zola and in this role specifically.