A fast-growing start-up revolutionising the design Industry, a market worth over $700bn annually. eporta is an online marketplace where architects, interior designers and other businesses can discover high-design furniture, lighting and accessories and purchase directly from suppliers.
We have users in over 80 countries, so our business is already truly global - and we will be expanding from our UK office into another European location, and then into the US. We have a number of high profile investors including a large US venture capital fund, Guy Hands (founder of Terra Firma) and the founders of Zoopla, Betfair, sofa.com and Achica.
Our technical team is growing; we run Kanban (as lightweight as possible!) to minimise interruptions; we automate everything so we can focus on feature delivery, and we clean up behind us to keep the codebase in excellent shape. Developers take responsibility for architecture, code, automated testing and peer reviews. We firmly believe in owning feature delivery rather than pressing buttons and have never rolled back a release. We are a meritocracy - best idea wins, full stop.
An experienced and enthusiastic Python engineer, eager to continue building technical skills in a growing team whilst helping to shape the future and direction of a rapidly expanding platform and company.
- Self motivated and passionate about building what’s right for the user
- Willing to take ownership of features - and contribute to making them superb
- Confident questioning and critiquing the status-quo
- Keen to widen your skillset; organised and detail oriented
A unique opportunity to make a real impact in a rapid growth business whilst learning from our experienced and high-performing team. Reporting to the CTO, you will be working alongside the existing front-end & back-end engineers to deliver a well-architected, consistently high-quality system that will enable us to sustain our rapid growth.
You will mainly be working on the back-end platform and services, building new features and ensuring our architecture can scale to handle thousands of users across desktop and mobile. Work will be a combination proofs-of-concept and investigation, large strategic projects, improving our internal tooling and some smaller tactical work. We are a small team so everything is up for grabs and we are always working on interesting projects.
Our main webapp is built with Django on the back-end and React on the front. Our relational database is Postgres but we make heavy use of Elasticsearch for search, Neo4j for recommendations and Redshift for data warehousing. We use Kinesis to underpin an event-based architecture for integrating with external systems and internal jobs. Our infrastructure is managed almost exclusively through Ansible and AWS, with industry- standard cloud platforms for builds, testing and source code control.
Your skills & experience:
- Demonstrable experience of 2+ years commercial Python & Django development
- Solid experience building and using automated build/test pipelines
- Experience working in an Agile/Kanban environment using industry-standard tools (Github, JIRA etc)
- Experience designing & building APIs to drive client MVC sites & mobile apps
Bonus points for…
- Knowledge of good dev-ops processes and experience of Ansible/ Puppet/ Chef
- Experience building scalable web-based systems
- Experience with managing AWS infrastructure (ELBs/ALBs, WAF, etc)
- Previous work in small, high-performance teams (especially web-based startups)