The ME is part of the team responsible for the industrialization efforts of manufacturing, including process, tooling and system development, along with specification and acquisition of assembly and test equipment. To meet that goal, the ME will perform design and analysis of tooling, fixtures and systems associated with performing manufacturing and test processes in manual, semi-automatic and fully-automatic deployments. The ME will manage the engagement with suppliers and internal manufacturing resources, ensuring that the designed equipment meets the cost, schedule and performance requirements. Additionally, the ME will be responsible for supporting the commissioning of the designed equipment and performing all steps necessary to prepare the equipment for use in production.
- Develop clear mechanical design specifications from requirements.
- Perform mechanical design of tooling, fixtures and systems.
- Perform integrated design with pneumatics, electrical and electronic controls.
- Participate in the research and selection of machinery and tools sets from outside sources.
- Manage engagement with equipment/subsystem suppliers and internal resources, related to designs, from proposal to commissioning.
- Communicate designs, process descriptions, and associated project information (cost, schedule, requirements) to the broader team.
- Assist in the assembly and test of designed tooling/systems.
- Develop and maintain documentation associated with use of designed tooling/systems.
- Work on continuous improvement of design processes and resulting outcomes.
- Perform qualification and production readiness assessment of designed systems.
- Perform/assist in the hand-over of tooling/systems to production.
- Validate processes to meet automotive manufacturing requirements within applicable standards.
- Perform other related duties as required
- Minimum of 5+ years of experience in machine/tooling design of precision production systems.
- High proficiency in SolidWorks Design Software required. FEA capability a plus.
- Demonstrated development/design of precision mechanisms.
- Self-directed ability to fulfill process requirements through system and tooling development.
- Skilled at problem solving through fact-based decision-making techniques.
- Automotive or other regulatory work experience a plus.
- Experience with controls and system software a plus.
- Experience in micro-electronic , electro-mechanical and/or optical assembly a plus.
- Good communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in computer based tools such as MS Office and Google Suite.
- BS or MS degree in Mechanical Engineering or related technical fields.
- Lean, Six Sigma or other quality methodologies a plus.