Luminar Technologies is seeking a Senior Perception Engineer to implement and test efficient algorithms for low-level point clouds, and develop highly efficient machine learning models for automotive-grade vehicle compute platforms. Our vision is to make autonomous transportation safe and ubiquitous. Far too many lives are lost in vehicle accidents each year. Because when real people’s lives are at stake, driving safely 99% of the time isn't good enough. We just launched Hydra, and it’s capabilities are unmatched: road tracking out to 80m, lanes to 150m, and objects to 250m.
- Design and develop real-time algorithms for extracting point and surface level features from point clouds, and combining them to do multi-scale clustering.
- Design and develop real-time algorithms for low-level processing and filtering of LiDAR data, and judging data quality.
- Work with LiDAR firmware team to help define requirements on sensor data fidelity, and metrics for sensor and algorithmic performance.
- Train machine learning models for semantic segmentation and object detection.
- Analyze, optimize, and tune the performance of scalable and robust software for executing machine learning inference on automotive-grade compute platforms.
- Provide feedback about choices of operations, model architectures, and parameters (pruning, quantization, model architecture search).
- Productize ML models: optimize metrics (inference time, memory consumption, security, power consumption), while minimizing impact on network accuracy.
- Contribute to internal deep learning inference software. Write production quality kernels for new layer types for GPUs and DSPs.
- MS or PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or a related field
- 5+ years of industry experience, or relevant work experience with an MS
- 2+ years of machine learning experience, and ML productization and deployment
- Experience building low latency computer vision or point cloud processing pipelines
- Production level programming knowledge, like C++ and Python
- Experience with software optimization on CPU’s or GPU’s
- Deep internal knowledge of one ML framework (Tensorflow, Caffe, PyTorch)
- Extensive experience developing production quality software in a Linux environment
- Experience with GPU programming (CUDA, OpenCL)
- Experience with model compression, BLAS libraries, and SIMD optimizations
- Experience with unit testing, integration testing, CI/CD etc.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Enjoy working within a dynamic and continuously evolving environment
- Able to work in cross-functional teams across organizational/geographical boundaries
- Experience developing perception systems for robotic systems
- Show out-of-box thinking and invent creative solutions for challenging problems
- Location: HQ near Stanford University in the beautiful city of Palo Alto, California
- Timing: A start-up backed by industry leaders, at a critical stage of growth
- Compensation: Competitive salaries and meaningful equity
- Benefits: Comprehensive package (medical, dental, vision, and more)
- PTO: Take it when you need it, we are a results-oriented team (not just 9-5 job)
- Other: Paid lunch and dinner, team fitness, and fun team off-sites
Industry: Automotive, Software, Autonomous Vehicles, Computer Vision, Machine Learning
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Functions: Engineering
Luminar is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, service in the military, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. We will make a reasonable accommodation for any qualified applicant with a disability, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation and that the accommodation would not impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please let us know if you believe you require reasonable accommodation, or if you would like assistance to complete an application or to participate in an interview at the company.