Luminar is an autonomous vehicle sensor and software company with the vision to make autonomy safe and ubiquitous. We built a new type of LiDARfrom the chip-level up with breakthroughs across all core components. As a result, we have created the only LiDARsensor that meets the stringent performance, safety and cost requirements for Level 3–Level 5 autonomous vehicles. Integrating this advanced hardware with Luminar’s custom developed software stack enables a turn-key autonomous solution. We have rapidly gained 50 industry partners, including 7 of the top 10 global automotive OEMs. Founded in 2012, Luminar is a 350+ person team with offices in Palo Alto, Orlando, Colorado Springs, Detroit, and Munich.
We are a diverse team of passionate and driven individuals, making us a powerhouse of innovation, design, engineering, and manufacturing. We are hiring the best and the brightest to accelerate the industry, and bring forward the next transportation revolution.
As Functional Safety Manager for LiDAR sensors you will bring your automotive embedded systems experience to lead the safety management activities from concept to production.
- Lead all functional safety activities in collaboration with internal and customer stakeholders, specifying safety requirements and safety concepts for system, hardware, and software architectures
- Lead safety management activities from concept to production according to relevant standards including preliminary hazard analysis, DFMEA, FMEDA, qualitative and quantitative hardware metrics
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to train, promote, and ensure functional safety requirements are being met throughout product development cycles, according to ISO 26262
- Lead and coordinate the creation of functional safety documentation for Luminar’s LiDAR sensor according to ISO 26262
- Contribute to overall architecture of Luminar LiDAR system
- Collaborate with global team on functional safety activities
- Automotive OEM or Tier-1 experience as a safety engineer/safety manager
- Experience applying the ISO 26262 standard to automotive safety systems
- Experience with fault detection and fault mitigation strategies
- Experienced with electrical engineering design for automotive applications
- Experience in Software Quality and process ( e.g., ASPICE, CMMI )
- Experience with Products Development Life Cycle (Systems, Software)
- Proven record of taking customer requirements from design to production
- Knowledge of Requirements Management tools ( e.g., JAMA, DOORS )
- Bachelor’s Degree in STEM field
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Tier-1 experience as Functional Safety Manager delivering multiple ECUs compliant to ISO 26262, preferably holds safety certification
- Experience with related standards:
- ISO/PAS 21448 (SOTIF) and applying STPA
- ISO 21434 and co-analysis of safety and security
- IEC 61508 for non-automotive applications
- Experience with autonomous driving and driver assist: sensor technologies (e.g. LiDAR, camera, radar), algorithms for signal processing and control, Verification & Validation for complex safety critical systems
Luminar is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, service in the military, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. We will make a reasonable accommodation for any qualified applicant with a disability, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation and that the accommodation would not impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please let us know if you believe you require reasonable accommodation, or if you would like assistance to complete an application or to participate in an interview at the company.