Luminar Technologies is seeking a Senior Software Engineer for the Simulation team, combining game development, networking, and computer science tools that accelerate the utilization of our sensor and software products. The ideal candidate will lead and own the design, development, testing, and deployment of simulation services and tools. Our vision is to make autonomous transportation safe and ubiquitous. Far too many lives are lost in vehicle accidents each year. Because when real people’s lives are at stake, driving safely 99% of the time isn't good enough. We just signed an industry-first deal with Volvo Cars to bring autonomy to a highway near you by 2022. Visit us @ https://www.luminartech.com/ to find out more.
*We are interviewing and on-boarding candidates completely virtually due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Our team is currently entirely working from home, except for those individuals carrying out ‘essential’ business activities.
- Maintain and improve a simulation platform to accelerate LiDAR development, powered by game engine technology.
- Simulate, prototype, test, design, and debug functions of the software.
- Create game prototypes and plugins for core components, covering various mechanics.
- Integrate existing SDKs and components into other Luminar products.
- Work closely with perception, data, reliability and other engineering teams.
- Provide technical leadership through your software development expertise.
- Drive implementation activities through the Technical Lead role in our Scaled Agile Framework, collaborating cross-functionally with other engineers, and participating in the development and mentorship of other developers.
- Own the architecture and the “how” of our simulation products
- BS in Computer Engineering/Science, Game Development, or a related field
- 6+ years of industry experience working in game-engine based simulation
- Expert level experience specifically working with Unreal Engine or CARLA
- Experience working with Unity Game Engine
- Expert-level object-oriented programmer, including experience with, but not limited to: C++ and C#, including low-level debugging
- Experience delivering production software in a Linux based environment
- Experience with CI/CD systems, and writing unit, integration, load and stress tests
- Experience as a technical lead including designing architecture and working with cross functional teams
- MS or PhD in Computer Engineering/Science, Game Development, or a related field
- Knowledge of software design patterns and code optimization
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent track record of technical leadership and mentorship
- Ability to motivate others, drive collaboration, and quickly resolve conflicts
- Enjoy working within a dynamic and continuously evolving environment
- Able to work successfully in cross-functional teams, especially across organizational and geographical boundaries
- Experience in working in Agile teams and within Scrum frameworks (SAFe)
- An impeccable professional record and a strong and demonstrable work ethic
- Show out-of-box thinking and invent creative solutions for challenging problems
Benefits & Perks
- Location: UCF Research Park in the beautiful city of Orlando, Florida.
- Timing: A start-up backed by industry leaders, at a critical stage of growth.
- Compensation: Competitive salaries and meaningful equity.
- Benefits: Comprehensive package (medical, dental, vision, and more).
- PTO: Take it when you need it, we are a results-oriented team (not just a 9-5 job).
Industry: Automotive, Software, Autonomous Vehicles, Game Development, Simulation
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Functions: Engineering
Luminar is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, service in the military, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. We will make a reasonable accommodation for any qualified applicant with a disability, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation and that the accommodation would not impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please let us know if you believe you require reasonable accommodation, or if you would like assistance to complete an application or to participate in an interview at the company.