Luminar is an autonomous vehicle sensor and software company with the vision to power every autonomous vehicle by delivering the only LiDAR capable of making them both safe and ubiquitous. Founded in 2012, Luminar is a 350-person team across Palo Alto, Orlando and Colorado Springs, and has raised more than $250M from prominent venture funds. Today, 12 of the world’s top 15 automotive companies are working with Luminar’s breakthrough technology as part of their global autonomous development programs, including Volvo Cars, Toyota Research Institute, and VW/Audi’s subsidiary, AID.
We are a diverse team of passionate and driven individuals, making us a powerhouse of innovation, design, engineering, and manufacturing. We are hiring the best and the brightest to accelerate the industry, and bring forward the next transportation revolution.
Luminar Technologies is seeking a Senior Software Safety Engineer to define and manage software systems architecture to meet product requirements and functional safety targets. Our vision is to make autonomous transportation safe and ubiquitous. Far too many lives are lost in vehicle accidents each year. Because when real people’s lives are at stake, driving safely 99% of the time isn't good enough. We just signed an industry-first deal with Volvo Cars to bring autonomy to a highway near you by 2022 - come join the mission of a lifetime. Visit us @ https://www.luminartech.com/ to find out more.
*We are interviewing and on-boarding candidates completely virtually due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
- Define software systems safety architecture and design to meet product requirements and achieve functional safety targets.
- Create safety system specification documentation translating product requirements to systems software safety requirements and architecture specifications.
- Provide frequent and clear communication to other teams, peers, and external stakeholders.
- Subject matter expert on product requirements, system architecture, and policy, legal, and other standards.
- Own system software artifacts related to perception software and report to Systems Manager / Project Safety Manager.
- Develop technical safety concepts and requirements for autonomous perception.
- Develop safety standards and process implementation working with software developers to realize safe perception software systems.
- Ensure software complies to relevant automotive industry standards not limited to ISO 26262, SOTIF, AutoSAR C++, MISRA etc.
- Support Systems Engineering team and dev teams with tools not limited to Requirements (eg. JAMA), Model-Based systems tools (eg. Visual Paradigm) and Safety Analysis tools (eg. Medini).
- Work with internal software teams and facilitate systems approach to software development with safety mindset fostering safety culture. Provide training to internal Luminar software professionals as necessary to ensure efficient programs execution.
- Research and review new tools, technologies and industry trends which might affect current and future products.
- BS or MS in Computer, Electrical, Systems Engineering, or a related field
- 5+ years of industry experience in functional safety analysis
- Systems and software development and specification development in perception domain; desired in vehicle perception, robotics, ADAS / ADS or related
- Extensive experience with safety analysis methods (DFMEA, FTA, HARA, etc.)
- Extensive experience with COTS tools employed for safety analysis.
- Extensive experience in C++ for safety-critical applications; prefer ADAS or highly autonomous vehicle software experience.
- Strong software engineering experience in vehicle safety critical embedded systems,
- Demonstrated experience in embedded software testing as it pertains to automotive safety-critical software.
- Experience with Linux, Git version control etc.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to motivate others, drive collaboration, and quickly resolve conflicts
- Enjoy working within a dynamic and continuously evolving environment
- Able to work successfully in cross-functional teams, especially across organizational and geographical boundaries
- 7+ years of experience in C++ development for mobility software (road transport, mobile robotics or related) with demonstrated software expertise.
- Demonstrated research and application experience in software safety.
- Involvement in standards development.
- Experience in developing perception software algorithms.
- Experience in structural coverage of code - static and dynamic analysis .
- Experience in working in Agile teams and within frameworks such as SAFe.
- Experience with designing and development software in accordance with quality, functional safety and security standards (ASPICE, ISO 26262, AUTOSAR).
- An impeccable professional record and a strong and demonstrable work ethic.
- Show out-of-box thinking and invent creative solutions for challenging problems.
- Timing: In the process of going public; will be listed on the Nasdaq
- Compensation: Competitive salaries and meaningful equity
- Impact: ability to have immediate impact on a lean team as it prepares for production - this is not an R&D environment
Luminar is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, service in the military, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. We will make a reasonable accommodation for any qualified applicant with a disability, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation and that the accommodation would not impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please let us know if you believe you require reasonable accommodation, or if you would like assistance to complete an application or to participate in an interview at the company.