Luminar is an autonomous vehicle sensor and software company with the vision to make autonomy safe and ubiquitous. We built a new type of lidar from the chip-level up with breakthroughs across all core components. As a result, we have created the only lidar sensor that meets the stringent performance, safety and cost requirements for Level 3–Level 5 autonomous vehicles. Integrating this advanced hardware with Luminar’s custom developed software stack enables a turn-key autonomous solution. We have rapidly gained 50 industry partners, including 7 of the top 10 global automotive OEMs. Founded in 2012, Luminar is a 350+ person team with offices in Palo Alto, Orlando, Colorado Springs, Detroit, and Munich.We are a diverse team of passionate and driven individuals, making us a powerhouse of innovation, design, engineering, and manufacturing. We are hiring the best and the brightest to accelerate the industry, and bring forward the next transportation revolution.
Luminar is seeking an exceptionally talented Systems Integration Engineer to validate the integration of Luminar hardware and software for the world’s best long-range perception solution, in order to deliver autonomous vehicle functionality to major automotive OEM and Tier 1 companies around the world. In this role, you will lead, design, and execute functional tests to validate the integration of our software and hardware products in both internal and external development vehicle platforms. Through your hands on work, you will be on the front lines of all critical V&V and integration activities that drive our development. You will work closely with the Systems and Software engineering teams to translate and map automotive requirements into robust end-to-end product validation requirements and processes.
*We are interviewing and on-boarding candidates completely virtually until the County of Santa Clara eases restrictions due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Our team is currently entirely working from home, except for those individuals carrying out ‘essential’ business activities.
- Work with a talented group of engineers to develop automotive-grade software for Level 2+ autonomous vehicle functionally based on Luminar’s LiDAR & perception platform.
- Develop and execute field V&V tests for our perception software and hardware through collaboration with our Systems Team.
- Author internal vehicle platform requirements and validation tests through collaboration with Compute and Vehicle Integration teams.
- Develop end-to-end product tests and operational workflows to speed up our development cycle including, structured and public road testing strategies.
- Engage with the Field Application Engineers to create a bridge between internal testing and external customer support for Hydra and future product offerings.
- Develop an expert technical understanding of our product and engineering infrastructure to serve as a hands on holistic systems integration engineer capable of hands on triage of any integrated platform.
- Identify product/functionality gaps and collaborate with internal product and technology teams to define the necessary development to support solution delivery.
- Drive implementation activities, and participate in the development and mentorship of other engineering infrastructure engineers.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Systems, or Electrical Engineering, or a related field
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Experience evaluating automotive sensor performance (lidar, camera, radar, or ultrasonics)
- Experience designing functional tests for computer vision applications or a similarly related field
- Experience leading and creating technical product validation activities
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to motivate others, drive collaboration, and quickly resolve conflicts
- Enjoy working within a dynamic and continuously evolving environment
- Able to work successfully in cross-functional teams, especially across organizational and geographical boundaries
- 6+ years of experience, including but not limited to: lidar sensor validation, autonomy integration, systems engineering, and sensor validation
- Experience working on advanced autonomous vehicle systems
- Experience supporting development of lidar-based software through field testing activities
- High energy personality, with a strong and demonstrable work ethic
- Demonstrate out-of-box thinking to develop creative solutions to challenging problems
Benefits & Perks
- Location: HQ near Stanford University in the beautiful city of Palo Alto, California
- Timing: a start-up backed by industry leaders, at a critical stage of growth
- Compensation: Competitive salaries and meaningful equity
- Benefits: Comprehensive package (medical, dental, vision, and more)
- PTO: Take it when you need it, we are a results-oriented team (not just 9-5 job)
- Other: Paid lunch and dinner, team fitness competitions, and fun team off-sites
Industry: Autonomy Engineering, Automotive Sensors
Employment Type: Full-time
Job Functions: Engineering
Luminar is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, service in the military, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. We will make a reasonable accommodation for any qualified applicant with a disability, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation and that the accommodation would not impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please let us know if you believe you require reasonable accommodation, or if you would like assistance to complete an application or to participate in an interview at the company.