We are seeking a talented, experienced Senior Optical Engineer to contribute to our LIDAR system design and development. The successful candidate will join a cross-functional team that combines light sources, beam delivery systems, detectors, firmware, and software to create market-leading LIDAR systems. The position requires an understanding of detector design, opto-mechanical system design, optical tolerancing, and modeling.
We are a diverse team of passionate and driven individuals, making us a powerhouse of innovation, design, engineering, and manufacturing. We are hiring the best and the brightest to accelerate the industry, and bring forward the next transportation revolution.
- Establish high volume production-capable optical design for beam launch and detection
- Design optical coupling strategies and tolerance analysis to and from micro opto-electronic components: to and from chip, optical fiber, and free space
- Conduct system and component optical design and tolerance analysis
- Direct specification development for detailed drawings of optical components
- Conduct detailed simulations (sequential and non-sequential) of optical systems
- Evaluate subsystem-level requirements for next-generation products
- Establish, direct, and conduct component and system verification and validation tests
- Create and validate system performance models
- Provide technical interface to production suppliers
- BS in Optical Engineering or related field
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in an optical engineering role
- Experience designing detector lens opto-mechanical assemblies
- Expert-level optical design, tolerance analysis, and tolerance specification skills
- Design for high-volume manufacturing
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience with optical design software such as Zemax, Code V, FRED or ASAP
- Capable of optical system alignment, critical analysis, troubleshooting, testing and characterization
- Strong data analysis capability, including experience using MATLAB, Python or comparable
- Experience with factory ramp and new product introduction
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Optical Engineering or related field
- Design for Six Sigma (DFSS)
- Problem solving experience such as 8D, Shainin RedX, etc.
Luminar is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, age, disability, gender identity, results of genetic testing, service in the military, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. We will make a reasonable accommodation for any qualified applicant with a disability, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation and that the accommodation would not impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please let us know if you believe you require reasonable accommodation, or if you would like assistance to complete an application or to participate in an interview at the company.