- Job Type: Full-Time
- Function: Legal
- Industry: Marketplace
- Post Date: 05/25/2023
- Website: roofstock.com
- Company Address: 2001 Broadway, Oakland, CA, 94612
About RoofstockRoofstock is building the world’s leading real estate investment marketplace. Our mission is to make ownership of investment real estate radically accessible, cost-effective, and simple.
What we do and why we do it
As the leading end-to-end investment platform for single-family rental homes (SFR), our mission is to make real estate investing radically accessible, cost effective, and simple. We successfully merge our passion for helping investors build wealth through real estate with cutting edge technology that transforms the way they do it.
How it’s going (and growing)
With a talented team of 400+ Roofsters, our collaborative, can-do culture is what fuels our growth. Early last year we closed on our Series E, raising $240 million, and have offices in California, Texas, and New York as well as many remote opportunities. Our growth includes recent acquisitions of Great Jones (full-service property management), Stessa (financial management software) to empower customers with a seamless way to acquire, manage, and track their investment properties on one platform, and Rent Prep (tenant screening and placement service for landlords).
Under our roof
We get a lot of attention for our innovation—like being on the Forbes Fintech 50 and Red Herring 100—but we’re most proud of being recognized as a Great Place to Work® (Check out our reviews!). We’re nice, get things done, and have fun. We champion professional growth and work-life balance. In fact, our values are B.A.D.A.S.S.
Are you a creative problem solver with deep knowledge of marketing, privacy, and data with great judgment, impeccable writing skills, and a love for working with marketing, product, data, and other creative folks?
Roofstock is looking for a skilled Data Privacy & Marketing Attorney to join our close, collaborative and multi-talented legal team. Roofstock is the leading platform for investing in single-family rental homes, using technology to transform the way real estate is bought and sold. Our mission is to make ownership of investment real estate accessible, cost-effective and simple. Our platform lets everyone from first-time investors to global asset managers evaluate, purchase, own, and sell residential investment properties with confidence from anywhere in the world. Since launch, we've surpassed $5 billion in transactions and continue to disrupt the industry with cutting edge technology and innovations.
In this role, you will report to the General Counsel and serve as the company’s primary legal advisor on data privacy and marketing related issues. You will partner closely with our Marketing Team, Product Team, Info Sec team and various consumer-facing business lines including Stessa, RentPrep, RoofstockOne. This role has the potential to grow to include oversight over more areas, including advising on our go-to-market strategy for various technologies. Together with the legal team, you’ll provide critical and time-sensitive support advising on various aspects of consumer protection and data privacy while spreading the word about the innovative ways in which Roofstock helps its clients build generational wealth through real estate.
As our ideal candidate, you bring passion and a solid foundation in the law to your job. You understand how to balance business need with sound legal advice. You have significant experience implementing privacy compliance programs, and advising on data privacy and marketing issues whether they arise in a marketing campaign, a contract negotiation, or a creative brainstorming session. You are fluent in consumer protection, marketing, and privacy laws, and are also open-minded, intellectually curious, and able to pitch in to advise on other legal issues as necessary. You are as comfortable driving projects as you are jumping in to help on other matters, regardless of the work to be done. You are a flexible and creative thinker who can empathize with our clients inside the business as well as with users on both sides of our marketplace. You are a natural teacher and have a solution-oriented approach to delivering legal advice. Lastly, you want to be part of a low-ego, high-performance company where everyone steps in to help achieve company goals of changing the way real estate is bought and sold globally.
What You Will Do:
- Provide legal guidance on data privacy, data protection, and information security matters, including compliance with CCPA, CPRA, FCRA, GLBA, and other applicable data privacy laws and regulations.
- Review and negotiate contracts with vendors, partners, and clients, including data processing agreements, software licenses, and marketing agreements.
- Advise on marketing initiatives and campaigns, including social media, email marketing, and online advertising to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, such as FTC guidelines, TILA, CAN-SPAM, TCPA, and state advertising and consumer protection laws.
- Review marketing materials and content for legal compliance, including advertising copy, disclosures, disclaimers, and substantiation for advertising claims.
- Manage data subject rights requests, data breach notifications, and other privacy-related communications.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including marketing, product, IT, and human resources, to implement data protection and privacy best practices, and marketing compliance.
- Provide training and guidance to employees on marketing law and data collection and sharing, privacy legal requirements and best practices
- Monitor and stay up-to-date on legal and regulatory developments in marketing and data privacy, and provide proactive advice to the business.
- Manage relationships with external counsel and other stakeholders, as needed.
What You Bring With You:
- 8+ years of relevant legal experience, preferably a combination of law firm and in-house experience, focusing on marketing law and data privacy matters.
- Expertise in CCPA, CPRA, GDPR, and other data privacy and protection laws and regulations.
- Strong contract negotiation and drafting skills.
- Experience advising on marketing law and consumer protection issues, including FTC guidelines on endorsements, truth in advertising, TCPA, CANSPAM, and state promotions laws.
- Experience implementing and drafting social media guidelines and using your impeccable writing skills to review those communications.
- Experience educating and counseling business clients on endorsements, testimonials, accuracy, and adtech.
- Comfort independently drafting and negotiating complex commercial agreements and policies, including IP licenses, partnership agreements, services agreements, terms and conditions and guidelines for the business.
- Commercial awareness of and interest in real estate, and specifically, the single-family rental space.
- Desire to take a significant role in shaping the future of a leading prop tech late-stage startup.
- Ability to translate complex legal concepts into actionable guidance for business teams.
- Strong project management skills, with the ability to prioritize and handle multiple inquiries and requests, supporting multiple cross-functional teams.
- JD degree, excellent academic credentials, and admission to at least one US state bar.
- Good sense of humor, collaborative work style, sound judgment, pride in your work, ability to identify problems and propose solutions to them, and a desire to work with a dynamic-growth company in the prop-tech space.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) or similar certification is a plus.
- Experience launching new SaaS programs.
- Experience applying consumer protection and marketing laws to the real estate or financial sectors.
- Knowledge of how to market securities, banking as a service, or credit screening products.
- Previous experience in prop-tech or real estate.
The baseline compensation for this role is $200,000, with adjustments upwards adjustments according to geographic location. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors unique to each candidate, including but not limited to job-related knowledge and skills, experience, education/training, business needs, market demands, and geographical location.
For our regular full-time roles we offer a great benefits package!
Equity incentives to give you a stake in the Company’s future
Medical, Vision and Dental for you (95%) and your dependents (70%)
Flexible time off and sick days
We exhibit an upbeat and collaborative work culture
Virtual company-sponsored outings
Roofstock is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Roofstock, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.